The Gregg County Historical Museum (GCHM) is located in the Everett Building constructed about 1910 as a fine example of the prominence of early 20th Century financial institutions. This corner building consists of a basement and two floors. The basement presents various exhibits including an extensive Caddo collection; the first floor also presents exhibits, as well as, houses a conference/ education center. The interior retains much of its original colorful and ornate grandeur.
Other spaces within the building during its 105 year history include a barber shop, American Red Cross during WWII, and clothing stores. Professional offices on the second were once occupied by lawyers, doctors and dentists. Today it is one of the premier museums in East Texas, housing local history memorabilia and artifacts extending from the archaic time period through recent events.
Mark conducted fieldwork & produced a Preservation Mater Plan for the museum and will assist the board in pursuing grant acquisitions for preserving the facility. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is located at 214 N. Fredonia Street in downtown Longview. It is a highly recommended place to visit on your next trip to Longview!